Monday, February 13, 2017

The Caped Crusader

Yesterday Pablo found an old cape in his room. It was from one of the Shakey's birthday parties that he attended back in Subic. He spent several hours running around the house, making up stories and just having a good time. To our surprise, he decided this morning that he would wear it to school. Uh...ok son.

For most of my school life, I always flew under the radar. It's not something that I did on purpose, it just sort of happened that way. In a class of 40+ kids, it's very easy to get lost in the crowd. I was always surprised when a teacher mentioned any particular insights about me. It was only much later that I became comfortable with sticking out, but even then it was only about things I felt very strongly about. The tendency to go with the flow is both a cultural and personal thing.

So for our soon-to-be 8 year old to be ok with being different is a BIG deal for me. Our current school culture doesn't exactly tolerate differences, much less celebrate them. But his wonderful teacher kept an eye out to make sure things were ok. Apparently it was quite a hit. When he started running around in class some of the boys chased him and made a game out of it.

Go get 'em Bubba. We're behind you all the way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment