Sunday, May 29, 2011

Educating a Toddler



I've been researching a lot on teaching a toddler. I tried looking at homeschool curriculums, found a preschool skills checklist that I liked and revisited the Tools of the Mind philosophy.

This is not the first time I've sat down to read on the topic. But time and time again, I always end up with the same conclusion - I'm not very interested in academic learning. Pablo will learn his ABCs, 123s, colors and shapes when he's good and ready. He doesn't need school for that (especially since he's got two fabulous teachers at home!) What I do want is a place that will allow him structured play with his peers. I want Pablo to learn to wait his turn, share with his classmates, roleplay. I want Pablo to learn to be kind, generous and forgiving. I know I can teach him all these at home, but there is some benefit to interacting with other kids (as well as adults) and practicing these things outside of our home.

One little benefit to reading up on teaching a toddler is I found some great references for activities that can be done at home. First is No Time for Flash Cards and the second is I can teach my child (the lay-out just calls out to the teacher in me).

--------------------------------
There are a couple of interesting articles on the Tools of the Mind program here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment