Sunday, April 24, 2011

Missing our Girl



This is Duchess. She's our baby girl. We adopted her in April 2007. She was a full-grown adult by then and had a number of years under her belt...err..collar. When we took her in, she had a small growth by her left ear (her former owner said it was a result of an argument with another goldie). A few months later we brought her in for surgery and her vet removed the growth. Fast-forward three years and the darn growth is back. We broached the idea of having it removed with her new vet (the other one retired) but he was a little hesitant to do so because she's a much older dog now.

In the past months it has doubled in size and it's been driving me nuts with worry. The vet has agreed that it needs to be removed but the earliest they could schedule her surgery was Tuesday next week. So we had to leave her at my dad's house. sniff. Dad's driver will take care of bringing her to the vet; hubby will pick her up and bring her home.

I wish I were with her. I wish I could be the one to take her to the vet. To stay in the waiting area. To be there when the vet says everything went well and our girl is ok. To stroke her back while she's recovering. To greet her when she wakes up. To take her home and back to our family.

But no. I have other responsibilities. And I need to learn to let go. I need to learn that I can't do everything. I need to learn to ask for help and to accept help from others.

Growing up is hard to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment